In 2014 St. Pauls Nursery School and Children’s Centre was successfully designated a National Teaching School and our leader Lucy Driver was also recognized as a National Leader in Education.
A partner early years setting, Redcliffe Nursery School & Children’s Centre was also designated a National Teaching School at the same time and we now work collaboratively with them under the name of the Bristol Early Years Teaching Consortium.
Teaching schools are outstanding schools that work with others to provide high-quality training and development to new and experienced school staff. They are part of the government’s plan to give schools a central role in raising standards by developing a self-improving and sustainable school-led system.
- School led Teacher Training
- Continued Professional Development (CPD)
- Supporting other Settings and Schools
- Identifying and developing leadership potential
- Designating and deploying ‘Specialist Leaders in Education’
- Research and Development
This model encapsulates our vision to strengthen ‘learner -centred leadership’ practice. We aim to grow and develop world class practice in the Early Years sector, and align models of excellence across all phases of education through: equitable pedagogy, capacity building, critical enquiry and cohesive communities.
Key partners in this alliance include:
- Bristol Local Authority
- All Bristol Nursery Schools
- The Bristol Primary Teaching School
- Bristol Primary Heads Association
- St Mary Redcliffe Teaching School
- Cabot Learning Federation
- The University of Gloucestershire
- Bath University
We are an Outstanding Nursery School and Children’s Centre with a proven track record of delivering support and training to leaders and practitioners. We aim to build ambition and aspiration, deepen reflective and critical thinking, and strengthen commitment to strategic improvement planning. We have embedded research into our practice and are committed to ensuring any improvements in practice are sustainable across our sector.
We hold the learner firmly at the heart of all our learning, working to develop differentiated, emotionally and culturally intelligent practice at all levels. We have particular expertise in narrowing the gap in outcomes and achievement for both children and families.
Other recognized areas of expertise at St Pauls include:
- Partnership working
- Developing your team
- Learning to Learn – developing the effective characteristic of learning through Building Learning Power
- Emotional well being
- Making Learning Visible – documentation
- Narrowing the gap for disadvantaged learners – expertise supporting EAL learners and families
- Assessment and tracking
- Communication and language
- Storytelling and literacy
- Birth to 3s
Examples of expertise at Redcliffe Nursery School and Children’s Centre include:
- Outdoor Learning and Forest Experiences
- Early Mathematics
- Developing Children’s Narrative
- Supporting Children’s Book Experiences
- Children’s Food Awareness
- SEN & Inclusion
- Developing a research community
- Leading research
- Capacity building
- International partnerships
- Post graduate qualifications
Find out more about Teaching Schools, Professional Development and getting into Teaching at the National College for Teaching and Leadership